Some of us are just not motivated to go to a gym and run on a treadmill. We find the experience really boring and often end up on the couch as a result. Sports can be a great way to get motivated to do some exercise. It is great for burning a lot of calories and it is also great as a fun activity.
Here are some of the best sports to lose weight
- Soccer – A regular soccer game is 90 minutes long. Though friendly games might be shorter, it is still a great way to lose weight. Try to play it sincerely as you will have to do a lot of running, jogging and walking while playing soccer. Professional soccer players can burn between 500 and 800 calories in an hour. While you might not burn that much, it is definitely a great way to burn at least a couple of hundred calories. The game is also a very interesting game and most people fall in love with it once they give it a try.
- Basketball – This is another game that will constantly require you to be on the move. The game does not have any real breaks and you will have to always attack or defend when you play. The constant movement will burn calories very well. Basketball is also a very competitive game which will encourage you to work harder to let your team win.
- Tennis – This is another great game to lose weight. This is not a team sport which means that you will have to do all the work. You can also try to play doubles which is still great exercise. This game can be extra useful for you if you learn to play it well. This is because the game will last longer as the quality of tennis increases, allowing you to have longer rallies that will burn more calories.
- Table tennis – Don’t be fooled by the small table and think that this is an easy game to play. Professional table tennis players burn almost 300 calories an hour playing this game. This is a great game to start with if you are really out of shape as the movements will be manageable even by an overweight person. You can then move on to other sports as you become fitter.
- Beach volleyball – If there is a beach near where you live, nothing can be more fun than beach volleyball. It is said that you burn almost twice the calories with activities on a beach when compared to doing them somewhere else. For example, you can take a one hour walk on a treadmill and burn about 100 calories whereas a one hour walk on a beach will probably burn about 200 calories. This is because the sand in the beach does not allow you to get a solid footing thus making your muscles to work harder to keep you stable. Instead of just walking on a beach, beach volley ball can be twice as vigorous. Other beach games are beach soccer and Frisbee games.